Personnel Complaint Form
The Complaint Process:
Investigations are conducted whenever a written Citizen Complaint Form has been signed by the complainant or the Chief of Police orders an investigation. Complaints brought by citizens who do not wish to become involved to the extent of signing a letter or sworn statement, will be investigated in the same manner as any other complaint. During the course of the investigation, the Investigator shall keep the complainant informed of the status of their complaint. Upon completion, the file will be forwarded to the involved employee's Chain of Command for review and evaluation. The Chief of Police will review all complaints and make a final determination based on the recommended discipline and/or corrective action.
The complaint will be classified as either:
1. Sustained - the allegation is supported by sufficient evidence;
2. Not sustained - there is insufficient evidence to prove or disprove the allegation;
3. Exonerated - the employee's actions were within the scope of his authority, complied with departmental guidelines and were lawful and proper;
4. Unfounded - the allegation was false or not factual or did not occur; or,
5. Misconduct, not based on complaint, where revealed.
When a final decision has been rendered and/or final action taken, the citizen will be advised in writing of such decision or action. The complainant has the right to appeal the results of the investigation to the Mayor and or City Council of Mountain View, if the complaint was filed within 30 days of the alleged incident.